Latest topics
» The Fire is Coming
by Ember Robinwood Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:37 am

» Wolf/Sea OOC Discussion
by Leanan Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:37 pm

» Nymirni's Beach
by Tidemist Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:36 am

» Staff On LOA
by Kaimeta Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:33 am

» [Art] Shinebright's drawings
by Ember Robinwood Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:20 pm

» Kaimeta's Beach and Hut
by Kaimeta Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:58 am

» Lace's Cave
by Shinebright Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:36 am

» chit chat
by Kaimeta Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:46 pm

» Members on LOA
by Tidemist Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:58 am

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 28 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:25 pm
Affiliates

free forum

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+


The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Shinebright on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:46 pm

He was the first to wake up. Or at least the first one to step out of the Hometree. Packed with his weapons he looked for a place in the shadows. Laid a plaid on the ground and sat down.

Oakroot was always very carefull with his weapons. Tended to them and made sure his weapons were always ready to be used. Today he wanted to use daylight to inspect them and see if they needed repairing or even replacing.

His bow was in rough condition, so that was obvious, he needed to replace it. Luckely he had seen a grove full of good wood. Small trees, called yew-trees, still straight and bendable. With flax he could make a good strong string. Some new arrows would be nice too.

His sword was still sharp. He had sharpen it just a few days ago. He looked at it and saw the reflection of his face in the blade. He placed it back in the sheath. It was old, but still a very good blade. It had belonged to the Sire of his Sire.

Putting his sword aside, his eyes went to his spear. It wasn't looking good at all. Too bad, because it had a good grip and he could throw it most accurate. He could only hope he could make another just as good. Looking at the spearpoint, his mood went from good to bad. It would take days to make another. And he needed to make arrowheads too, so at least eight days.... Wait! Didn't Ridge say some of the Seafolk were rockshapers? He could ask him to set up a meeting! His mood lifted again.
Good! Counting all together he might be done within eight days!

Now, where was his favorite weapon!
He could handle most weapons, his spear and sword were the first he had mastered. But at the moment he had another favorire! He picked up his Slingshot. Small in size, but just as letal as a bow and arrow! It was made out of leather. Shaped like a belt with in the middle a bulge in which a pebble fitted. In month of practice he had noticed the longer the Slingshot was, the better and more accurate he could throw. He missed only a few times these days. He had lengthened it so that it was as long as both his arms.

Others of the Wolffolk would laugh at him, but most of his kills these days were made with the Slingshot.

He divided then into two piles, the first didn't need mending, so he tide them together. The second he could throw away... or some parts he could use again.

But he took his Slingshot with some pebbles, he wanted to practice. At the edge of the clearing he planted a thick branch and did some steps back. He took one pebble out of his pouch, hanging on his belt. He placed it in the bulge and stepped with his left foot forward. In his right hand he had both ends. Slowly he moved his arm back, slinging it above his head once, speeding his swing. When the Slingshot came around for the second time, his arm lowered a bitt and with one last swing he released one end and thus releasing the pebble with such a great force it hit the branch before you could blink your eyes!
When Oakroot looked at the branch, he had to look twice. The pebble had hit the branch with such a great force it had knocked off a piece of it. He knew he was getting better at it!

_________________
We Hunt! We Howl! and We Live Free!
&
Calm Seas and Gentle Tidings!
avatar
Shinebright

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-12-05
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Kaimeta on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:34 am

Kai's hunt had been more productive than she had hoped. Not only was she able to take the deer she had hoped for but her traps that she had laid upon entering the deeper woods had caught 3 rabbits. She was quite pleased with herself, she wouldn't need to hunt again for a couple of weeks, with just herself to feed at the moment.

With the rabbits dangling from the horns of the stag she carried over her shoulders Kai walked nearly silently into the cleaning in front of the Everhome Tree. She sighed as she looked up at the grand tree, she loved the color of the light spilling down between the leaves.

With a grunt she swung her prizes from her shoulders to the ground. "Morning Shinebright." the High One called to the other elf. "Have you seen Stormcloud this morn?" She asked standing at her full height arching her back.


Last edited by Kaimeta on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:43 am; edited 2 times in total

_________________
Avatar by Shinebright
avatar
Kaimeta
High One

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 614
Join date : 2014-07-21
Age : 32
Location : Lost in the Labyrinth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Shinebright on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Oakroot had heard the High One coming from the bushes. He admired the silence she had developed over the eons. It came natural to the Wolffolk, but the High One was one of the few none-Wolffolk who had a natural, almost silent pace.

He turned around. "Good day to you, Honored One." She had asked him to call her by her name, but he always felt to honor her when ever they met.
"I think she is still in her den, sleeping. Although I did notice some movement. I see you have been hunting. That is a nice stag and some juicy rabbits you have caught. Are you gonna do something special with them?"

_________________
We Hunt! We Howl! and We Live Free!
&
Calm Seas and Gentle Tidings!
avatar
Shinebright

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-12-05
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Kaimeta on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:37 am

Kai smiled at the other elf. "Nothing overly so." She admitted." But I shouldn't have to hunt for a while after today." She said. She was going to offer the rabbits to Stormcloud as payment for skinning the stag, but she was almost sure that the younger she-elf would refuse till imposed. Or her grandmother would have, but that reverence seemed to have missed Stormcloud just a little.


She tolerated the honorifics from most but over all she wanted nothing more than a normal life, so to speak. She hunted for herself, made sure she never asked for much from the tribes unlike others of her brothers and sisters. She attending the gatherings of the tribes and she spent her time watching the little ones when needed. Kai to the best of her abilities had tried to break the mystery around her as a High one as best she could.

"How about you?' She asked looking a the array of weapons on the ground. "Have something planned yourself?"

_________________
Avatar by Shinebright
avatar
Kaimeta
High One

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 614
Join date : 2014-07-21
Age : 32
Location : Lost in the Labyrinth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Shinebright on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:46 pm

"The stag has a beautiful hide, if properly tanned it could be used for a lot of things. You want Stormcloud to help you with it? She is very good at it." It was a good kill, lots of meat and a large hide was always a good price.

Oakroot looked at his weapons too. "Nothing much, I couldn't sleep anymore so I thought I'd check my weapons. It seems my bow and spear need replacing, maybe one of the Seafolk can help me with some new arrowheads and a spearpoint. And I thought I'd partice some more with my Slingshot, before I am taking the cubs and Ridge to check on some traps I set a few days ago." He lifted his slingshot, took another pebble and demonstrated it to Kaimeta. And again his aim was perfect.

Suddenly he thought of something she said. "Wait, what did you call me? Oh, great Hometree of all Elfes!" With a little too much drama to take serious, he raised his hands above his head. "You haven't called me that since I first discovered my facehair. You know how the memory works of us mortals, do you still remember why you started calling me Shinebright?"


Last edited by Shinebright on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
We Hunt! We Howl! and We Live Free!
&
Calm Seas and Gentle Tidings!
avatar
Shinebright

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-12-05
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Delhya on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:51 pm

Brooksong rolled over hearing voices stretched and yawned. She rubbed the sleep out her eyes and poke her head out of her den a little ways up the Everhome Tree. A smile breaking across her face at the site below her. She quickly brushed he hair and put on her legging and sandals and scampered down to the ground.

"Well you went with out me Aunt Kai," she spoke as her feet touched the clearing. A fake pout on her feature before she could hold the expression no longer and broke out into a smile as she walked up to the two elders. "Hello Oakroot." she said in a chipper tone sleepiness forgotten.
avatar
Delhya

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-08-05
Location : Where I am.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Kaimeta on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:51 am

Kai grinned at the other elf. "You were such a bright youngling."she smiled remembering the past. "You shined like the sun, the way you beamed each time you learned something new, or discovered something. I always said you shined bright, and it stuck then." She giggled at the memories. "You are right, I haven't called you that since you were a cub, but the way you were beaming just then brought the memories back to me."

She nodded at the ideas of tanning the hide, in fact she hoped that Ridge or his master would be willing to do that for her. "I do need new straps for my sheathes and my quiver is wearing out in places." she said touching the soft leather of her quiver. " You should make your bow from the silver birch tree, like mine." She said pulling the bow over her head and holding it in front of her. "I've had this bow nearly as long as I've been here. She has never failed me." The High One smiled and ran her hand down the smooth wood of the bow.

Stepping over to the younger elf, she held the weapon out to him. "Here see how she feels, maybe one of her younger sisters would be waiting for you." she smiled as she let him take the bow. It was an honor she knew, to let another handle your weapons and she was the High One, but how else would he find the the silver birch would be right for him?


At the sound of her "neice" Kai grinned again. "I went hunting, dear. You know I always hunt alone." She walked over and hugged the child tightly. "I'm still going to take you gathering, just like I promised." She smiled. Brooksong would be starting training as a healer today and with time and Kai's guidance she would become one of the best healers that the Holts had seen, or at least that's what Kai believed. "I just need to speak with Stormcould and the master tanner before we go, as well as check on the elves here that need my attention." she smiled at the young girl. "I want you to come with me as i go around too." She thought that it would be a good place to sort of start with Brooksong.

"Where is Stormcloud?" Kai asked.

Sending openly Kai mentally called out. *Stormcould? You awake?*

_________________
Avatar by Shinebright
avatar
Kaimeta
High One

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 614
Join date : 2014-07-21
Age : 32
Location : Lost in the Labyrinth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Leanan on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:43 am

**I am now** Stormcloud sent in response, just a little grumpily. Then she realized how much light there was in the den. The morning was well ahead and she'd promised to help Kaimeta! "Puckernuts!" she swore aloud. **Sorry. I seem to have overslept. I'll be there in just a moment!** she promised.

She had slept in her clothes, so all she had to do was pull on her boots and fasten the straps that held her knives, as well as her belt. She rushed out of the den and into the clearing.

"Good morning, Kaimeta, Oakroot, Brooksong!" she said in a happy, if a bit sleepy, tone of voice, while stretching her arms. "Sorry you had to wait for me", she told the red-haired High One, "I don't usually sleep this late. Must have been all the excitement yesterday."
avatar
Leanan

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 564
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 36
Location : Octopus Exchange - No squid!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Ember Robinwood on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:35 pm

Wakefulness found Ridge suddenly. Little light made it into the den in the morning (or any other time, really). The light slanting into the den had shocked him awake. Disoriented, he rolled over. Sunlight... Morning... Something important... Waiting... Waiting for Swirling...!

Ridge clambered to his feet and readied quickly. He raked his fingers through his hair, distressed at having overslept so greatly. He'd promised to himself that he'd be at the beach before dawn.

He snatched up his bow and quiver of arrows, rushing for the den entrance. He looked over his shoulder at the sleeping cubs in their nest and hesitated. Openly, he sent, *Uncle Oakroot, please keep an eye on the cubs until I return!*

Ridge slithered out the den entrance ran, barely sparing a glance around the Holt. Within heartbeats, Pathfinder was at his side and Ridge was swinging onto the wolf's back. If only he hadn't slept so late!
avatar
Ember Robinwood

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 506
Join date : 2014-07-31
Location : East of the Misty Mountains, but West of Mirkwood, along the Old Ford and the Great River of Wilderland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Delhya on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:26 pm

Brooksong hugged Kaimeta back  "I look forward to it, maybe I can find a new branch for my spear too while we are out  Silence offered to make me a new one." She looked around to see who was awake  her parents den was still closed. Stormcloud came down into the clearing  "Good morning don't worry you have not missed anything."

She stopped and watched as Ridge raced off on Pathfinder 'Huh, what is wrong? I hope everything is okay' she thought to herself. He was not the type in her experience to zoom off and leave cub watching to another especially his siblings. though any in the tribe would for him.
avatar
Delhya

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-08-05
Location : Where I am.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Shinebright on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:20 pm

"Ah, yes, I do remember. I went by another name too those days, Redbranch." Oakroot looked at his slingshot. "It has been a long time since I mastered a new weapon. And I had forgotten how gratefying it is to learn and master new things. It makes me what to learn more, you know. No wonder I looked like the lad who you remember. My face must have been glowing, hahaha! I don't mind you if you still call me Shinebright."

When Kaimeta handed him her bow, he was honored, not because she was a High One, but because it is not common to share weapons, because a weapon is made for one person to handle it. "Thank you! May I try it? I have my own arrows and that target is screaming to be hit."
Oakroot turned the bow with care. Silver birch, he knew they made good bows, but his father had taught him to use yew-trees, because they were easy to use, easy to bend with steam.. Studying the bow he knew it would be perfect for him. Maybe a different shape, most deffinatly a different size. This bow was clearly made for Kaimeta and it had been made many turns ago, but the shaft was still perfect, bendable, but stirdy. Clearly she cared for her bow as much ad he did..... maybe even more Oakroot thought looking at his own bow.

"Good day Brooksong, up early today." He turned to the silverhaired girl. "You are going to gather? If you have the time, could you bring me some herbs? I have used the last of mine on my quails I made for the festival."

He smiled at his niece, who was clearly still sleepy. "Ha, Stormcloud, how was the festival? Did you meet some of the Seafolk?" He greeted her with a hug. "Looks like Kaimeta has a beautiful stag for you to prepare."

He turned as Ridge sended to him. Oakroot wondered too if everything was allright, but his sending didn't felt as if he was in trouble, only hurried. **I will! Will we meet later on or will you be too busy?** He hoped he would return later on the day, but he knew how festivals could change plans and he could always take the cubs himself.

"He is allright, only late to meet some one..." He answered Brooksong. " I need a new spear too and a bow. Silence and I were planning on making them, but I haven't seen him yet. Guess he is still asleep or maybe he went ahead, looking for good wood."

_________________
We Hunt! We Howl! and We Live Free!
&
Calm Seas and Gentle Tidings!
avatar
Shinebright

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-12-05
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Ember Robinwood on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:04 am

From where he was crouched at the fringe of the forest, he caught Oakroot's sending. He sat back on his heels. he hadn't forgotten. He hadn't.

**We'll take the cubs hunting this evening,** Ridge assured his uncle. He had to wait and see if Swirling arrive, but he would still go hunting with his uncle and siblings.
avatar
Ember Robinwood

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 506
Join date : 2014-07-31
Location : East of the Misty Mountains, but West of Mirkwood, along the Old Ford and the Great River of Wilderland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Shinebright on Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:47 am

**I will wait for you here!** Oakroot sended back. 'Take care dear nephew! I hope you will get the answers you need!' He thought.

"This bow is amazing, Kaimeta! Silver birch you said? Hmmm, I can feel it's strength and it's flexibility. I think I will try to make one for myself! Thank you for lending it to me!" He really liked the feeling of the bow, eventhought it was too big for him. Now he needed to prepare on making a spear and a bow.

"Kaimeta, do you know which one of the Seafolk is a rockshaper? I need a new spearhead and I think so will Brooksong and Silence, since they need a new spear too. I have found some flintstone which could be shaped by hand into a spearhead, but shaped by magic would be better and stronger."

Maybe he could take the cubs into the forest and cut down a few young trees and show them how to make a spear and bow. Or better yet, make them both a little bow, they are at an age they cshuld start to learn how to handle a weapon and a bow or spear were excellent first weapons.

_________________
We Hunt! We Howl! and We Live Free!
&
Calm Seas and Gentle Tidings!
avatar
Shinebright

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-12-05
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Kaimeta on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:04 am

Kai smiled. "Of course." She replied to Oakroot. She cared well for the old bow. It had be her life before finding a place to settle where others would hunt for her. She had depended it on not just for food but protection from enemies.

"Sounds like a great idea." She said letting Brooksong go."Silence is a skilled weapon smith." she smiled. It brought peace to her mind to know that Silence would be helping make Brooksong's new spear. It would be reliable.

Kai giggled outwardly at Stromcloud's sending. "It's alright. We all had an eventful yesterday." The high one said. " I was hoping you could skin these for me. The rabbits are for you as payment for the stag." She said gesturing to the fruits of her hunt. "As I said yesterday I have no skill with skinning." She smiled at her young friend.

In response to Oakroot's question Kai began. "I believe Swirling is. And if I thing what I saw yesterday was what I saw, Ridge is on his way to meet the fair sea maiden." She smiled. "You might ask him to pass on your message when you see him next." Her eyes glittered in the faint sun light.

_________________
Avatar by Shinebright
avatar
Kaimeta
High One

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 614
Join date : 2014-07-21
Age : 32
Location : Lost in the Labyrinth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Leanan on Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:47 pm

"Yes, I had a good time. And not only did I meet Seafolk, but I will go swimming with some today - and have a tail like theirs, can you believe it?" Stormcloud told her uncle. She hugged him back, then focused on Kaimeta.

"Wow", Stormcloud said when she saw Kaimeta's kills, "you sure have been busy this morning! Of course I will skin them for you, and the rabbits are more than enough payment. This will take a while, so I hope you don't mind that I get started right away."

Without waiting for a response, Stormcloud walked over to the stag and turned the dead animal around a little, to get the right angle for the first cuts. She knew the tricks of how to get the hide off as one piece, so that it would be best suited for whatever it would be used for. Clothing, most likely - deerskin was soft and beautiful. Stormcloud began the task of the skinning, her every movement carefully planned. A task like this could not be hurried - one wrong move and there would be holes in the skin.
avatar
Leanan

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 564
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 36
Location : Octopus Exchange - No squid!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Shinebright on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Oakroot nodded "I will and I hope things will go right this time. After the maiden left he was very troubled, but we are going to set traps this evening with Leaf and Twig, so I have a chance to speak with him."
Suddenly he got ambused by two little elfes. "Oof, speaking of which! Here you are! Did you sense I was talking about you, you little pesks!
The next moment he rolled over the ground, ended on his back with the two cubs on top of him.

"Yeah! We won! We got you now uncle Oakroot!"
"Lets tickle him! You do his side brother, I will tickle his feet! Eew, they stink uncle! You need a bath!"

"Ha, who do you say needs a bath! I could smell you from your den!" Slowly he stood up, lifted the two cubs up on his shoulders. "I think I will take a bath right now!"  He apologized to Kaimeta and the others and started walking toward the small creek nearby the Holt.

With a big splash he landed with the two cubs in the water.


Last edited by Shinebright on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:46 pm; edited 5 times in total

_________________
We Hunt! We Howl! and We Live Free!
&
Calm Seas and Gentle Tidings!
avatar
Shinebright

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-12-05
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Kaimeta on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:46 am

Kai smiled at the activity around her. "I'm glad to hear you're going to experience the sea! I hear it's a wonderful place." She paused. "I wonder if I'll need to shape you?" She asked no one really. She didn't think the sea folk had a flesh shaper, so she would most likely need to. "just send if you need me."

After their light words, Stormcloud started on the skinning. She was good, each cut well planned. Kai stood in awe for a moment of the younger elf's skills.

"So Brooksong." the red head said tuning to her niece." While Stromcloud is about her work, would you like to come with me while I look in on the elders?" She asked.

_________________
Avatar by Shinebright
avatar
Kaimeta
High One

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 614
Join date : 2014-07-21
Age : 32
Location : Lost in the Labyrinth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Delhya on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:56 pm

"Really Stormcloud!?? That sounds wonderful you have to show me every little detail when you get back!!" She was obviously excited for her tribemate if not a little envious but knew one day she would get to explore the waters as well.

She smiled and shook her head at the cubs as they squealed in protest as Oakroot neared the creek dunking them in the shallow waters.

Brooksong smiled at Kaimeta "sure but I am sure Spur will be grumpy for having been woken up though he would never say it to you." She giggled not realizing yet that this was going to be more lesson based for her than a simple watch and visit as it had always been in the past. She skipped ahead towards the elders den and stopped to wait for Kaimeta.
avatar
Delhya

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-08-05
Location : Where I am.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Leanan on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:29 am

"Tidemist did mention she would ask you to shape me", Stormcloud replied to Kaimeta, keeping her eyes on her work. One limb at a time, the hide was coming off.

Hearing Brooksong's comment, she smiled, still concentrating on her work. "Perhaps you could come too?" She suggested, wondering if it would be all right for Kaimeta and Tidemist.

Stormcloud continued working on the kill. Her attention was on it more than on the other elves. Work such as this needed concentration.
avatar
Leanan

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 564
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 36
Location : Octopus Exchange - No squid!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Shinebright on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Oakroot played along with the cubs, first it seemed he was getting the upper hand, he lifted Leaf and threw her in the water where he knew the water was deeper. Next he was abused again by Twig, who jumped at his back, he faked that he felt by her weight. Leaf took advantage of it and jumped on him back too. Ofcourse they were no match for him, but he loved the cubs and it was always fun to play with them.

"Now, since we are already in the water..." **..we might as well get washed! I think your brother....** "....would be pleased to know you started your day clean!" The cubs had pushed him under water, but now he had caught them, one under each arm. "All right, do you know which plant is the foamingplant? You know the one with the roots which create foam when sliched open and rubbed in your hands?"

He saw the cubs thinking.
Twig looked around and started walking down the creek. Leaf followed her brother closely.
"Look, it's that the plant? Let's ask uncle!" Leaf said.

In the meanwhile Oakroot took of his clothes except for his loancloth. It was hard to take off his leather pants, but the soap stained on leather if used without water. He watched the cubs again. And saw Twig studying the right plant. It seemed he had an eye for plants, he should talk to Ridge about it, could be something special.
"You are right Leaf! This is the foamingplant! Uncle! Uncle! We have found it! What do we do now?"
"Hey, what do you mean, 'we found it!'? I found it! You just stared at it and said I was right!" Leaf put up a pout and crossed her arms. " It's not fair, just because you know much about plants and you say you feel them grow...."
"It is fine, I saw you finding the plant first, Leaf, but in the end that isn't important. What is is that you know the plant." Oakroot said, while running his fingers through her hair. "Come, let's dig one root out of the ground and leave the others save. This way it grows strong again and we still have enough foamingplants here. " Carefully he digged the root out, trying not to damage the other roots.
" Who is the fastest to get undressed?"

After much more playfull bathing all three were clean again. Gently he carried them back to their den, not caring he didn't have his clothes with him.
"Uncle?" Twig asked curious. "Why don't you let the High One heal your scars? Do you keep them as a throphy?"
He had expected the question, since he had traced the lines of the scars after he had lifted him. "No, Twig, these are no throphies. I have kept them to remind me to enjoy life each day."


Last edited by Shinebright on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:06 am; edited 3 times in total

_________________
We Hunt! We Howl! and We Live Free!
&
Calm Seas and Gentle Tidings!
avatar
Shinebright

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-12-05
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Kaimeta on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:15 am

Kai smiled as Brooksong started ahead towards the elder's den. She had no idea what she was in for today.

At the suggestion of going with Tidemist and Stromcloud into the sea Kai shook her head. "No I think not." She shuttered. "I never did learn to swim will and I have no desire to venture out into the water past my knees." She smiled. "But you should have a grand time." She hooded. "I'll stop by on our way to gather herbs.' She said taking off after her niece.

"Good morn, Spur." The High One said ducking into the elder's den after Brooksong. "How fairs you this day?" She asked taking a kneeling seat by the older in appearance elf. She padded next to her and motioned for Brooksong to join them. "I trust you know Brooksong?" Kai said as was of introduction. "She's going to be a great healer one day." She smiled at the young she-elf. Maybe she just caught what she was in for after all.

_________________
Avatar by Shinebright
avatar
Kaimeta
High One

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 614
Join date : 2014-07-21
Age : 32
Location : Lost in the Labyrinth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Leanan on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:13 pm

Stormcloud's hands stopped at the sound of the High One's voice. Thankfully, she did not harm the skin with her jolt of surprise. "Actually I was talking to Brooksong...", she halted, thought a moment, and then went on: "I can't believe you've never been to the ocean! You shape them tails and fins and all..." she went on, meaning the SeaFolk, "and you never once went to see what it is down there they're so obsessed with?" This was her view of the SeaFolk, she hadn't really ever known any of them closely.
avatar
Leanan

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 564
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 36
Location : Octopus Exchange - No squid!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Shinebright on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:48 pm

"So cubs, what do you think about making a bow for yourselfes? I think it is about time. The High One had lent me her bow and hers was made from silver birch. I think it will prove to make a good bow for both of you!"

Oakroot returned with the cubs and was gathering his weapons. He would need his axe to cut the wood, his knife to cut some flax, his sword and his slingshot, you never knew what could happen.

"Will you make them for us?" Leaf asked.
"You can watch as I make my own bow, but I will help ofcourse!" It was custom to make your own weapon from early on, at least a bow or spear. Most kids stil prefered a catapult, but more to do mischiefgames.
"Hmmm, I think I better ask your brother if he agrees with me, maybe he thinks you are too young for your own bow...." He knew Leaf would react to that and he wasn't dissapointed!
"Too young! Too young! I am six turns of the seasons! I think I need my own sword by now!"
What did suprised him was Twig's reaction.
"Uncle, I want my own bow too! Just to practise for when I am older and need to protect our tribe!"
"Spoken like true Wolffolk! Both of you! Now, let's bring these back to my den and we will start looking for the silver birches."
But first he had to ask Ridge if he was fine with the cubs making their own bow. Even if it was only a toy...

_________________
We Hunt! We Howl! and We Live Free!
&
Calm Seas and Gentle Tidings!
avatar
Shinebright

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-12-05
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Delhya on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Spur nodded respectfully to Kaimeta. "High one, I am well enough." he still refused to be less than formal with her despite her asking it of him. He looked to Brooksong and nodded at the Chief's daughter. then had a momentary look of surprise, "Healer?" he said as he stared and Brooksong.

Brooksong came over and sat next to Kaimeta blushing at the comment and now feeling a little shy and awkward, it seemed she lost her voice to greet Spur as well. She still was not sure about being called a healer it just sounded so foreign to her. Kaimeta seemed to have high hopes or know something she didn't and Brooksong hoped she would not disappoint her. She did not even know how she had called up the magic inside her really, she just knew she wanted to stop Silences arm from bleeding.
avatar
Delhya

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-08-05
Location : Where I am.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Shinebright on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:54 pm

"Let's go cubs! Your brother will join us later this day, who knows, maybe you have almost finished your bows!" Oakroot picked up a bag at the last moment.

"Where do we need the bag for?" Twig asked, he was curious, because they would go for wood to make bows.
"Well, not only are we hunters, but we are gatherers too. We can't live on meat alone, although I prefer meat over plants, but they complement each other's taste. Specially in a broth. Also some mushrooms are delicious too, but some are poison, I hope you know some of them!" This would be a good day to teach, not only about weapons, but about food too.

"Leaf, do you know where we might find the silver birches Kaimeta talked about?" She showed great promise to be a tracker and had a keen sense of recollecting memories. Children, for that matter, could remember with such ease, most adults were jealous of it.
He had the gift of memory, he was after all Howlkeeper for a reason, but he had collected so many memories of his own he used more and more tricks to remember them. Still, his memory was one of the better ones among his people.

He saw Twig thinking, Leaf jumped up and down to tell him, but Oakroot gestured to him not to say anything, Twig had the answer. He smiled at her face when she had found it.
"I know uncle! We have to follow the path to the river, but halfway we have to leave the path and cross the forest in the direction of the beach again where we celebrated yesterday." She needed to think again, the trees weren't close to the beach, but she was unsure where exactly.
Oakroot nodded and was impressed, she knew where the trees were. "A hunt for the trees it is. Twig will be our huntleader today and we will follow." His heart warmed even more when he saw her smile. Leaf was impressed too and gladly followed his sister.

**Stormcloud? We are going to get some silver birches for bows.** He didn't have to say where he was going, but after his attack and the attack of the other day by the tuskpig, he just wanted to be save.


Last edited by Shinebright on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
We Hunt! We Howl! and We Live Free!
&
Calm Seas and Gentle Tidings!
avatar
Shinebright

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 482
Join date : 2014-12-05
Age : 42
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The clearing in front of the Everhometree: Open.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum